Accounts Assistant job description
Below is a typical job description for an accounts assistant which we hope you find useful. If you need any assistance with recruiting an accounts assistant in the North West we’d love to hear from you.
An Accounts Assistant is an integral part of the team responsible for maintaining an efficient and accurate finance function within a business.
The Accounts Assistant as the name suggests is predominantly responsible for assisting the team of accountants with junior accounting duties. These can vary massively depending on the team structure and size of business.
An Accounts Assistants work will include basic book keeping activities, working with sales and purchase ledgers and running calculations to ensure that records and payments are correct.
The Accounts Assistant usually reports in to an Accountant or Finance Manager.
Accounts assistant role, duties and responsibilities
An Accounts Assistant will be expected to perform any of the following tasks:
- Reconciling finance accounts
- Maintaining spreadsheets
- Credit control
- Preparing statutory accounts
- Cash allocation
- Sales order processing
- Managing daily post in and out
- Handling and writing cheques
- Receiving and processing all invoices, expense forms and requests for payment
- Verifying calculations working with the Accounts system
- Reconciliation of Direct Debit mandates
- Managing petty cash transactions
Typical qualities of a successful Accounts Assistant include:
- Strong understanding of the workings of an office
- Basic understanding of accountancy and book-keeping
- Would hold or be working towards an AAT certificate or related accountancy qualification
- Excellent interpersonal skills – to deal with customers and external contacts
- Good organisational skills and ability to work to, and sometime implement own processes