Assistant Accountant job description
Below is a typical job description for an assistant accountant which we hope you find useful. If you need any assistance with recruiting an assistant accountant in the North West we’d love to hear from you.
Assistant Accountant duties are likely to range from helping to prepare financial statements and accounts, budgeting, managing ledgers, processing invoices and preparing VAT returns.
The Assistant Accountant provides whatever support is necessary to the management accountant and finance team.
It is the day to day workings and reporting of the Assistant Accountant that will guide the recommendations of the Management Accountant ultimately improving business performance profitability and future growth.
Assistant Accountant role, duties and responsibilities
An Assistant Accountant will be expected to perform any of the following tasks:
- Monthly management account preparation
- Production of profit and loss
- To complete and maintain sales invoices and reports
- Accruals & prepayments
- Preparation of the Accounts Pack for review
- Bank reconciliation, posting and balancing
- Weekly wages, petty cash and other journal posting
- Daily bank receipts postings
- Year budget preparation
- Year end audit analysis
- Set up new suppliers on accounting software
- Reports on debtors and creditors
- Quarterly VAT return preparation
Typical qualities of a successful Assistant Accountant include:
- Part qualified AAT /CIMA – operational level
- Excellent excel skills
- Proactive individual focused on system and reporting improvements
- Payroll experience
- Some experience in preparation of balance sheet accounts