Job Description for a Finance Director detailing responsibilities and duties for a typical FD role.
For our latest Finance Director job description Click Here
Working alongside a businesses’ MD or CEO, the Finance Director will not only be an exceptional accountant, hands on with company finances but be commercially aware, advising on the best path of growth for the business.
The role of the Finance Director has overall control and responsibility for all financial aspects of company strategy and is expected to analyse figures and implement recommendations based on these findings with the most profitable outcomes.
Often managing and leading a team through difficult periods including month end, year end and annual budgeting, a Finance Director would have excellent communication skills with all levels of staff, often having to work with various departments to help them plan and manage their own budgets.
In periods of change and growth an effective Finance Director is critical, coordinating corporate finance, managing company policies regarding capital requirements, debt, taxation, equity and acquisitions, as appropriate.
Below are a few generic responsibilities of a Finance director. When you register your FD vacancy with us we will design you a bespoke Job description which will be dependent on whether your business is domestic or international, it will also be tailored around your existing finance structure. For a more in depth discussion call Phil Scott, Head of UK FD recruitment on 0845 130 9889
FD duties and responsibilities
A Finance Director will be expected to perform any of the following tasks:
- Work with senior teams to grow the businesses formulating strategies and plans
- Lead and develop finance teams
- Lead and manage the budgeting process
- Overall cash management on an ongoing basis
- Formulation of annual budgets and targets
- Overall control of all financial transactions and accountancy matters, including audit systems
- Preparation and submission of weekly and monthly updates
- Presentation of annual accounts with recommendations
- Review of accounts and investigation of variances then setting recovery plans
- Treasury matters
- Capital expenditure – evaluation and preparation of submissions
- Insurance/ risk management
- Setting annual cost rates and prices for customers
- Close involvement in commercial negotiations with customers
- Ensuring that the regulatory requirements of all statutory bodies are met
Typical qualities of a successful Finance Director include:
- Fully qualified with all levels of experience
- Excellent commercial and business experience
- Exceptional communication skills at all levels
- Strong IT skills, always ahead of new technologies
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision making