Website AFR Consulting
Our client is a privately owned retail business, consisting of four operating sites with two further sites opening in the next twelve months and a number of rental properties. Led by an ambitious Managing Director and executive team they are profitable and looking to grow to circa £6m turnover and beyond. Recent internal investment and a review of their structure has identified the need to appoint their first Financial Controller to help lay the foundations for growth, provide greater accuracy and comfort in the numbers whilst also making a pro-active contribution to the overall success of the business.
The key responsibilities of the Financial Controller will be:
- To take ownership of the accounting function and with the support of a full-time accounts assistant safeguard the finances and provide visibility of opportunities and risks.
- Improve controls and monitoring processes, working with QuickBooks, digital payroll systems and procurement software to ensure all transactions are recorded accurately.
- Producing monthly management accounts, including site P&L’s
- Develop enhanced reporting for the management team, including analysis and interpretation of group results and individual site performance.
- Discussing variance analysis with individual managers and recommending strategies to improve efficiency and profitability.
- Financial control of large CAPEX and refurbishment projects, stock management and reporting
- Preparing cashflow forecasts and budgets, developing short and long term business plans that align with strategic objectives.
- Preparation of Statutory accounts, tax, HMRC etc.
- Key point of contact for external accountants and the bank
- Company secretarial matters, contracts, leases, insurances etc.
The ideal candidate would be a strong self-starter, able to make suggestions and think independently with previous experience of running a finance department, implementing new procedures and best practice in a growing SME.
A high degree of comfort working with modern IT systems would be advantageous as they have recently made a significant investment in this area. Key objectives will be to improve the timeliness of monthly reporting and review all areas where finance can add value, reduce cost and improve efficiency. Your input will support commercial decision making and you should be willing to offer opinions and challenge current methods to widen financial understanding throughout the business. You will become part of the senior management team on site and the role will be based in a pleasant, very modern office environment. If you feel ready for a Financial Controller opportunity with a growing business in an attractive sector this will be tough to beat, please apply now for immediate consideration.