Below is a typical job description for a Management Accountant which we hope you find useful. If you need any assistance with recruiting a Management Accountant in the North West we’d love to hear from you.
A Management Accountant prepares, develops and analyses financial information to allow the organization to make well-informed decisions to ensure future stability, profitability and growth.
Management Accountants establish and maintain financial policies and management information systems, and are an integral function to inform management colleagues on all aspects of company finance. The role combines accounting skills with effective management and concise communication to both financial and non financial management.
A Management Accountant’s role is to look ahead, analysing business performance advising on how to pre-empt problems and adapt to changing circumstances and developments.
The overall aim for a Management Accountant is to improve value in all areas of the business by managing and reducing operational and production costs and implementing the most effective strategies.
Management Accountant role, duties and responsibilities
A Management Accountant will be expected to perform any of the following tasks:
- Produce financial statements including profit and loss accounts, budgets, cash flows, monthly management accounts, variance analysis and commentaries
- Assist in the production of the annual budget and periodic forecasting
- Provide management reporting for decision-making, including project appraisal, evaluation and post-implementation analysis
- Ongoing review of cash flow and production of forecasts
- Produce annual statutory accounts in management accounts format
- Calculation, presentation and payment of VAT
- Negotiating on major projects, loans and grants
- Manage capital expenditure
- Report on company assets and liabilities including balance sheet account reconciliations and review of intangible assets
- Ensure compliance with all financial regulations
- Manage trainee accountants, including day-to-day communication and motivation as well as succession planning and performance management
- Carry out continuous reviews of working accounting practices and processes to ensure efficient and cost effective operations
Typical qualities of a successful Management Accountant include:
- Qualified Accountant with minimum 3 years experience
- Proven technical ability
- Understanding of modern management information systems
- Ability to manage, delegate, motivate, monitor and control team activity
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels with both financial and non-financial management
- Intellectual with a strong commercial acumen