Below is a typical job description for a credit controller which we hope you find useful. If you need any assistance with recruiting a credit controller in the north west we'd love to hear from you.
The Role Function:
The primary function of a Credit Controller is coordinating the debts of existing creditors and deciding whether to allow credit to a debtor – ultimately managing all money borrowed or owed to your business.
Often reporting into a company accountant, the Credit Controller will handle the collection of finances and the resolution of account queries, raising sales invoices and issuing credit notes.
It is also the responsibility of a Credit Controller to manage debt recovery, which if a client has paid late or missed payments could involve stopping the supply of goods and services or undertaking legal action, at worst dealing with bankrupt businesses to negotiate recovery of funds.
It is vital that a Credit Controller builds and maintains close links with all customers, to ensure smooth running of accounts and encourage timely recovery of payments.
Credit Controller role, duties and responsibilities
A Credit Controller will be expected to perform any of the following tasks:
- Checking customer's credit ratings with banks
- Setting up the terms and conditions of a loan
- Timely and effective collection of all debts and customers payments
- Negotiating re-payment plans
- Maintaining contact with clients to ensure invoices are clear for payment
- Resolving queries both internally and externally around outstanding invoices
- Posting and allocating daily receipts to accounting systems
- Providing accounts information to internal departments
Typical qualities of a successful Credit Controller include:
- Ability to establish and maintain good client relationships, both internally and externally at all levels
- Ability to reconcile complex accounts and have excellent attention to detail
- Competence in Microsoft Office products, XL and accounting software programmes
- Prior experience with systems including invoice discounting
- Calm, confident manner to handle potentially uncomfortable conversations